Monday 14 February 2011

Writing a job description for a Tester Part I

This two part post is about my recent job description for a Test Analyst.

I recently started a new job taking over a team of four Test Analysts only to find that one moved to another position within the company after two weeks. Relieved that it wasn't me but that the move had been planned before I even arrived I quickly had to think about replacing the 7 years+ domain knowledge that just walked out of the door and the nice guy owning that knowledge. Nice start.

Since I didn't know yet the strengths and weaknesses of the team I decided to get the skill matrix out that I used in my last company. In short, it's a table that lists all sorts of skills and knowledge areas against a column for each tester and values ranging from 0 to 3. Zero meaning no knowledge, three meaning mastered that skill. It's a quick and dirty way to get a feeling how people see themselves and if there are areas that no one in the team really has knowledge of. This is worth a blog in itself but I don't want to overburden this one.

After discussions with the team I then found that structured exploratory testing was new to them so I decided that I wanted to get someone who's got some experience and interest in that area, maybe someone who took part in weekend testing sessions. Automation was another "no knowledge" area but there are other problems that we need to solve before I'm prepared to tackle that one.

Armed with that knowledge I then trawled the internet for job descriptions of Test Analyst, QA Engineer and whatever other job titles people gave to software testers. The majority I found were generic, non-descriptive documents that were interchangeable or they were looking for programmers in disguise.
Most used keywords and things like "experience with Quality Centre". I never understand that one as any tester worth their salt should be able to learn that within a couple of days. One of the requirements for the job is that we learn quickly how to use a new piece of software so why make it a requirement for a job?

I can understand it in specific cases if you're using a specific tool and your expert just left, you may want someone with that knowledge to pick up where the old guy left off.Or you need help implementing a specific tool or need certain skills in your team. Generic statements don't help in this area though IMHO.

I then had a think of what it is that I really wanted, what I didn't want to compromise on, what's my most important requirement. I then put that as the first sentence of the job desciption for a Test Analyst.


"We need someone who knows how to test software first and foremost."


This sentence is very simple but has several functions, similar to the "Pricing has many functions, only one of which is the exchange of money" which was coined by Jerry Weinberg. I heard that first at the Rapid Software Testing course with Michael Bolton. One is that it's a non-standard way to start a job description. As any successful novel writer will know, you need a strong first sentence that captures the readers attention and creates a feeling of wanting to know more. I believe this one qualifies.

It also makes very clear what's required of the applicant - people blindly ticking of scripts need not apply.
It also conveys that the person writing this knows what he wants and that this description hasn't been written by someone in HR who doesn't know about testing.

Of course the sentence is cheeky with a touch of humour as stating the bloody obvious is done in many CV's - need to be able to write test scripts, test plans, work with developers, etc, but not in such an extreme way. That software testers should actually be able to test doesn't appear in any CV's I've seen so I thought I'd put it there.


Testers who take pride in their work and want to learn more about their craft should get the feeling that there is a Test Manager who cares about these things rather than asking "How many percent of the test scripts have you written/executed" or "How many bugs have you found today?".

I want these testers to apply.

More to follow tomorrow in part II

1 comment:

  1. It's a great job description and I like the way that weekend testing experience is counted.

    Hope it brings you some great candidates

    ReplyDelete